[BlueOnyx:05428] Re: Mono

Bob Noordam b.noordam at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 19 14:54:03 -05 2010

  Op 18-9-2010 5:52, James Darbyshire schreef:
> Further to my previous email, has anyone installed mono on their
> BlueOnyx boxes?
>
> Now I am not too keen on installing additions to the bare-bones BO
> boxes (Just in case I need to migrate from one box to another),
> but I'm looking for a way to host ASPX pages using BO, and migrating
> from my CentOS barebones installs.
>
> Anyone?
>
> --
> Regards,

Here's a step by step to get Mono up and running on BlueOnyx, It
basicaly comes down to simply yum-installing the thing, because it all
is there in the official centos-extras repo, which is ready for use on
BO. (beats the old-deploy-from-source-and-mess-up-the-box anytime)

If you want i can supply a download for an oracle virtualbox machine
with  a clean patched up BO and mono toy with, and test potential issues
with other software. Then again - it's  a ten minute install so
downloading probaly isnt worth it anyway

This is a base install demonstrating a console "hello world" programm
and it's compile, and a basic web page. If you want to use one
of the default data providers you can install them from the extras repo
site. The MySQL extensions for .NET also work with mono altough they
are not supported. If you are serious about developing .NET application
for linux yourself you will want to buy Novell's extensions to visual
studio, they allow you to roll up a complete RPM from within VS. (or do
a simple ftp-deploy for webapps)

1)
Setup a clean BlueOnyx from iso 5.5-20100519, Set clock back a year
during first web run to evade the certificate warning.
named the server test.server.com, created a vsite named test.site.com

2)
Yum udpdated it too current, reboot to make sure all new stuff is active

3)
Added these to my hosts file on a local system to test with;
192.168.3.202    test.server.com
192.168.3.202    test.site.com

4) Installed mono:
yum grouinstall mono

5)
Test the setup, same drill as described on the mono "getting started"
page, put the following into a text file named hello.cs

using System;
public class HelloWorld
{
     static public void Main ()
     {
         Console.WriteLine ("Hello Mono World");
     }

}

[root at test ~]# gmcs hello.cs
[root at test ~]# mono hello.exe
Hello Mono World
[root at test ~]#

6)
Now we have a functional base installation, on to the web integration.

!! If you are even thinking of offering this commercialy, now go read
this: http://mono-project.com/Mod_mono !!
!! and think about what isolation level you need. The standard setup
with apache as a frontend and a single  !!
!! mono server running the code for all sites is used
below                                                  !!

yum install mod_mono
yum install xps

The mod_mono.conf should now be in place, check:

[root at test conf.d]# pwd
/etc/httpd/conf.d
[root at test conf.d]# ls -l mod_m*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1243 Jul 19 20:42 mod_mono.conf
[root at test conf.d]#

Be-ing in conf.d, mod_mono should auto load when restarting apache, so:
/etc/init.d/httpd restart

Test the aspx by placing the following in a site, name the file default.aspx

<% Response.Write("Hello web world"); %>

Keep in mind you now serve aspx to ALL vsites, if you want to control
this site-by-site you need to take a look at the settings in
mod_mono.conf and move them to the sites you want to enable this for.