[BlueOnyx:05484] Re: Issue with BO installation on OpenVZ

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 27 18:10:25 -05 2010

Hi James,

> With a VPS install, at least with mine, the BO UI doesn't actually allow me
> to change the name.  It's a display-only field.

That's correct. BlueOnyx is custom tailored to detect if it runs as VPS on
OpenVZ. If so, certain functionality is added, removed or altered to make sure
that it behaves and works best inside the OpenVZ container.

One of the things it does is to prevent to change the network information
under "System Settings" / "TCP/IP", as that change would never be permanent,
because on every VPS restart OpenVZ would reset this info anyway and would use
the info from the containers config file instead.

In the BlueOnyx OpenVZ OS template we have a couple of CCE handlers that are
usually not present on a stand alone install of BlueOnyx, because they're only
needed inside a VPS on OpenVZ.

The constructor
/usr/sausalito/constructor/base/solarspeed/01_vbq_network_init.pl for example
will check the VPS's FQDN and IP address (among other things) and will store
them in the CODBs "System" object.

Check if you have this file.

If you have it:
==========

In that case check your /etc/vz/conf/<VPSID>.conf of that container on your
master node and make sure that the config file of that VPS has the desired
host- and domainname.

If you don't have it:
==============

Then your OpenVZ VPS of BlueOnyx is missing the RPM "nuonce-solarspeed-vbq-
constructors", which you should be able to fetch either through YUM, or which
you can directly download here:

http://vbq.solarspeed.net/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS5/blueonyx/i386/RPMS/nuonce-
solarspeed-vbq-constructors-1.0.4-1.noarch.rpm

If you cannot get it through YUM, you may also be missing this RPM:

http://vbq.solarspeed.net/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS5/blueonyx/i386/RPMS/solarspeed-
virtual-5106R-repo-1.0.2-SOL1.i386.rpm

However, in that case I'd wonder where you got your BlueOnyx OS template vor
OpenVZ from, because then it wasn't one that I built. :o)