[BlueOnyx:05490] Re: Cced hangs, admsrv & httpd down @ 4am

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Tue Sep 28 10:19:57 -05 2010

Just thought I would post an update to this issue.

After going through the monitoring system - I have noticed that from 4pm yesterday, this BX box had been generating two new 'mystery processes' every 15 minutes - which did not die.

So at 4pm there were 113 processes (that the box seems to run most of the time).

By 4am this morning - this had risen, 2 every 15 mins, in an almost totally linear fashion, to 232 running processes.

At this point Cceed, HTTP & AdmServ died, but the server carried on spawning processes - until I restarted the entire server.

I guess had I looked at exactly what processes were running before I restarted - I might have got a clue as to the cause - something to remember for next time.

I have gone back to 4pm in the messages log, and again nothing much in there.....

Any suggestions of where else to look?

Jeff