[BlueOnyx:06897] Re: iphone POP problems

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Tue Apr 5 02:09:07 -05 2011

Roy Urick wrote:

> Since switching over to our new BO box, my iphone users have been
> complaining that seemingly semi-random emails will not download from
> the server.
>

> They will either see an obviously iphone generated message that says
> “this message has not been downloaded from the server” (the header
> info is shown, but that error is in the place of the body)
>

> Or they will see part of the message with a button to download the
> rest, but often the button will indicate 0 bytes left to be
> downloaded. (clicking the button doesn’t make it go away)
>

> This isn’t all messages either. The errors do seem to cluster around
> specific senders, but overall the iphones work and pop messages
> successfully 90% of the time.
>

> Anyone know of a REAL fix for this? Most Googling results lists the
> main fix is changing from pop to imap, which isn’t a direction we
> would like to go.
>

> For some background, our setup is a bit odd. Our iphone users have two
> mailboxes. A primary mailbox with a .forward set to store and forward
> emails to their iphone mailbox. Outlook pops the first mailbox,
> iphones pop the mailbox that the duplicated messages were forwarded
> to. This prevents either device from removing a message before the
> other has received it.

We do something similar: we forward all mails that would go to the inbox
(not sorted from procmail into folders like SPAM etc.) to another one
prefixed by m, so user has another mailbox called muser etc.. The second
one gets purged by archivemail every hour so that only the last 72hrs of
incoming mails are there. However we use also IMAP.

Hth,
Christoph