[BlueOnyx:06927] Hardware Checklist

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Thu Apr 7 18:53:52 -05 2011

Hi All.

Over the last week, I have had what I will describe as a hardware
nightmare. During the week, I experienced failures in a server requiring
replacement of:

1 x power supply
1 x motherboard
1 x video card (fan stopped spinning - Not yet replaced - Cannot see
video on server display)
1 x existing PCI nic card does not work in new motherboard (not yet
replaced)
1 x builtin ethernet card on new motherboard does not work (Driver issue)
1 x Temporarily tried a new single port ethernet card - but the display
was not working - so could not check config - unable to access box while
this card was active.

Moving forward:
The video card will be easy
For ethernet, I am thinking of getting an intel dual port ethernet to
replace the builtin one. But how do we know if our new hardware
purchases will work before we fork out the $$$

Had I known that there would be an issue with the drivers on my ASUS
P6X58D-E motherboard, I would have picked another board, but I am stuck
with it now. Lets share our experiences and help each other.

I have created a couple of forums at
http://forum.compassnetworks.com.au/viewforum.php?f=21 where I will
invite anyone and everyone to please post details of their motherboards
and/or ethernet cards - and their experience. Hopefully, this can be
built into a quick reference guide for other BlueOnyx / BlueQuartz users
to share their hardware success or horror stories to help the rest of
the community.

Regards,
Greg.