[BlueOnyx:06930] Re: Aventurin{e}

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 8 05:54:20 -05 2011

Hi Jeffrey,

>  One of the problems we faced was that we couldn't seem to guarantee on
>  start-up which physical interface was going to be which.

That's easy to fix:

Run "/sbin/ifconfig" and find out the MAC address of the network interface
that's supposed to be eth0.

Note the MAC address down.

Then edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and add the following
line:

HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00

Replace "00:00:00:00:00:00" with the correct MAC address of the interface
that's supposed to be eth0.

That will make sure that eth0 will always be the NIC with the specified MAC
address.

That works on BlueQuartz, BlueOnyx and Aventurin{e} and pretty much any Linux
flavour that uses network config files in the style of /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts/ifcfg-eth0.