[BlueOnyx:06929] Re: Aventurin{e}

Jeffrey Pellin jeffrey at px2co.net
Fri Apr 8 05:31:24 -05 2011

Hi David,

A while ago I experimented with a very similar setup because our service
provider insisted on a separate MAC address for each fixed IP.

We had one single port NIC and one 4 port (much as you are thinking of
doing) on an Aventurine box with 5 licences.

We had lots of problems with this configuration which was not really to do
with Aventurine - more a Linux issue. One of the problems we faced was that
we
couldn't seem to guarantee on start-up which physical interface was going
to be which. This should have been straightforward to fix, but it wasn't.
Whenever we thought is was nailed the issue returned after a short period
of time.
Generally what I thought was a brilliant idea turned out to be incredibly
flakey.

Eventually I did what I should have done in the first place (and what
everyone had told me to do, but I thought I knew better). I configured a
completely separate box as a Router which was connected to our service
provider via the five NICs. Oue Aventurine box had one NIC connected to the
router
and only used private IPs. We used the Router/Firewall to NAT the public
IP's to the private ones.
We had a few issues with NAT reflection to sort out but we had a robust
working model with:

All Server nodes on private IP addresses
Router NATting Public IPs to Private for public VS's
All VS's available on private network.

Hope that this is some help to you.

Regards

Jeffrey