[BlueOnyx:06967] Re: Failed Open SSH yum update

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sun Apr 10 11:27:19 -05 2011

> From: blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it]
> On Behalf Of Michael Aronoff
> Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:48 AM
> To: 'BlueOnyx General Mailing List'
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:06964] Failed Open SSH yum update

OK, so lost in the mess with the Apache update that was causing problems I
> noticed that an update to OpenSSH from the CentOS base repo is failing on
> my BO machines. I get the following during yum update:
>
> Running Transaction
>  Updating       : openssh-server
> 67/224
> Error unpacking rpm package openssh-server-4.3p2-72.el5.i386
> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/sbin/sshd: cpio: rename
>  Updating       : openssh-clients
> 68/224
> Error unpacking rpm package openssh-clients-4.3p2-72.el5.i386
> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/ssh: cpio: rename
>
> Failed:
>  openssh-clients.i386 0:4.3p2-72.el5
> openssh-server.i386 0:4.3p2-72.el5
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
> M Aronoff Out

I have an idea - please to a:
lsattr /usr/sbin/sshd /usr/bin/ssh

If you get permissions other than a series of "-" characters you've been hacked. Look for a file in your /lib directory with usernames and passwords used for ssh'ing into your VPS.

Hope this isn't the case.

	-Stephanie