[BlueOnyx:07073] Re: cced gone wild

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Sat Apr 16 03:51:52 -05 2011

Hi all,

Just had another occurrence of this mysterious cced hang problem (as documented in my early mail here) this morning - this time solved it without a hardware reset.

First check running processes for httpd and cced

ps ax | grep http | awk '{print $1}'
ps ax | grep cced | awk '{print $1}'

What's interesting with this is that there are only a few cced processes running, although a large number of httpd.

So first I just try to kill all the http ones in one go:

ps ax | grep http | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill

That kills all the httpd. However I am still unable to stop cced.

I now have to go:

kill -9 (cced pid)

That kills cced dead.

Now it's just a case of:

Start ceed.init
Restart admin server
Start httpd

Done - server back and processes now dropped from 150 back to 100.

So now I think this might be a case of httpd hanging cced - rather than the other way round?

Perhaps a 'bad app' ?

No idea why it appears to occur so randomly thought..... the last event was 1 month ago....

Cheers,

Jeff