[BlueOnyx:07110] Re: Majordomo setup

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 19 14:04:22 -05 2011

Hi Darrell,

> When you get close to releasing the new Mailman integration/migration,
> depending on the method you use to make the change, I would be interested
> to know if it would be beneficial for those with existing Majordomo
> emailing lists to "take down" their lists temporarily, get the new update
> and then manually add their old subscribers list to Mailman.

The most likely way it'll happen is this:

The module that provides the Mailman integration will have a new name, like
"base-mailman" instead of "base-maillist". So on existing servers it won't get
installed automatically, which prevents all conflicts. These boxes simply
continue to run Majordomo, until they're retired, or someone manually does
something about it.

There will be a new ISO image and a new OS template which contains "base-
mailman" instead of "base-maillist". So all future installs will then carry
Mailman instead.

For those who want to convert existing Majordomo lists to Mailman there will
be a procedure posted that involves either running a provided script, or a
list of manual commands that need to be performed.