[BlueOnyx:08041] Re: Thoughts on setup

Aaron Greenspan aarong at thinkcomputer.com
Wed Aug 10 02:21:37 -05 2011

Hi again,

Once again, in case anyone cares, just to pick up where I left off in my
last message...

It turns out that somehow in the process of getting BlueOnyx on CentOS
6, some package related to the messagebus service or the haldaemon
service got extremely messed up. How this happened, I'm not exactly
sure--it might have been a dependency that yum updated, or it may have
just been a fluke--but the net effect was notable for several reasons.
First of all, at boot, the "Starting HAL... [FAILED]" caught my eye,
followed by some other service down the line that depended on it. Second
of all, after loading the last service in the list, mailman, the server
would just sit there, even though /etc/inittab was set to runlevel 5
(corresponding to X Windows). And most maddening of all, if I ran startx
from the command prompt as root or admin (by switching screens using
Alt+F2), I'd get a GUI that would not respond to input from a keyboard
or mouse, even though /var/log/messages would clearly identify both USB
devices as being present, or removed, in real-time.

Somehow, either by signing in as root or rebooting enough times I did
eventually get the BlueOnyx Start-button-page loop to go away, so I was
able to finally complete the initial set up process (which I think then
finally changed the admin/root passwords to "blueonyx" as I'd been
expecting from the prior day's surprise), and that probably also helped
cement the server's IP address and DNS settings so that I could properly
access it over the network. By killing the gnome-session process
remotely I was able to see that X windows was complaining about things
related to dbus, so I ended up running...

yum reinstall dbus

and

yum reinstall haldaemon

After that, running...

service messagebus restart

and

service haldaemon restart

...made everything seem to run smoothly again, meaning that I could at
least use my keyboard and mouse in GNOME, and that the server would boot
properly into GNOME instead of just hanging with no error. I have no
idea where this messagebus service came from, but you would think that
no matter what, an errant service would not kill your keyboard and mouse
input!

Now when I go into the BlueOnyx administration screen, I have the same
problem that I did yesterday with 5106R: I can't run phpMyAdmin. Based
on the server logs I don't think that Apache and PHP are actually
throwing segmentation faults as they were yesterday, but something is
definitely wrong. The phpMyAdmin page tries to reload infinitely, and
I've made sure that my MySQL server root password is correctly set up.

If I had to choose between debugging all of this again and doing my
taxes, it would be a toss-up.

Aaron

Think Computer Corporation <http://www.thinkcomputer.com>

*Aaron Greenspan*