[BlueOnyx:08045] Re: Thoughts on setup

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Aug 10 05:43:34 -05 2011

Hi Aaron,

> It turns out that somehow in the process of getting BlueOnyx on CentOS
> 6, some package related to the messagebus service or the haldaemon
> service got extremely messed up. How this happened, I'm not exactly
> sure--it might have been a dependency that yum updated, or it may have
> just been a fluke--but the net effect was notable for several reasons.
> First of all, at boot, the "Starting HAL... [FAILED]" caught my eye,
> followed by some other service down the line that depended on it. Second
> of all, after loading the last service in the list, mailman, the server
> would just sit there, even though /etc/inittab was set to runlevel 5
> (corresponding to X Windows). And most maddening of all, if I ran startx
> from the command prompt as root or admin (by switching screens using
> Alt+F2), I'd get a GUI that would not respond to input from a keyboard
> or mouse, even though /var/log/messages would clearly identify both USB
> devices as being present, or removed, in real-time.

Like said in my other message: BlueOnyx should only be installed on a minimal
OS of the host operating system. No Graphical desktop should be present, as
the highest runlevel BlueOnyx uses is runlevel 3. Installing KDE or Gnome
raises the runlevel beyond that and then a lot of things no longer work as
intended.

As far as haldaemon and messagebus goes: These come aboard during the "Base"
install of the OS and/or get installed as dependency for ImageMagick. The
BlueOnyx tarball installer (and our the CD installer as well) immediately
disable these services as we don't need them for anything. However, Gnome or X
Windows (which you shouldn't have installed in first place!) may not entirely
like that.

> Now when I go into the BlueOnyx administration screen, I have the same
> problem that I did yesterday with 5106R: I can't run phpMyAdmin. Based
> on the server logs I don't think that Apache and PHP are actually
> throwing segmentation faults as they were yesterday, but something is
> definitely wrong. The phpMyAdmin page tries to reload infinitely, and
> I've made sure that my MySQL server root password is correctly set up.

No idea about this one, sorry. If the MySQL root password is set in the BX
GUI, then this ought to work. But if it throws segfaults, then there clearly
is something wrong, which is probably related to a side effect of this
somewhat unusual installation.

> If I had to choose between debugging all of this again and doing my
> taxes, it would be a toss-up.

Aaron, I can related to that. However, the only suggestion I can offer is to
stick as closely to the installation guide as possible:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=tar-ball-installer

And generally speaking: The 5107R tarball installer seems to work better than
the 5106R installer, as it's a bit more well rounded and makes fewer
assumptions and does more checks.