[BlueOnyx:08303] Yum not updating

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Aug 30 00:44:05 -05 2011

Curious,

I've got a VM on my Fedora desktop running the new 5107R inside VirtualBox.  Its there mainly for testing, but also give me a box to look around before moving all my domains (all donated - no paying customers) to the new version.  So I bring it up occasionally when I have time to poke around.

Lately, I'd noticed a number of little problem fixes announced on the mail list - and frequent "Updates going out now - use 'yum update' to get them".  And that's great - just the way Open Source is supposed to work!  Problem is, on this 5107R test box - "yum update" never updates.  Hum...

After noticing that, I got to looking around a bit and found there were no "repo" file in /etc/yum.repos.d.  There's a warning file about not using RPMforge, and there's a directory called "oldrepofiles" - but no repo files.  In that /etc/yum.repos.d/oldrepofiles directory - I find:
BlueOnyx.repo
sl-fastbugs.repo
sl.repo
sl-security.repo
sl-source.repo
sl-testing.repo
sl-testing-source.repo
sl-updates.repo

And when I checked my existing BX server, I found four files in /etc/yum.repos.d:
BlueOnyx.repo
CentOS-Base.repo
CentOS-Media.repo
Solarspeed-BlueOnyx.repo

So I'm curious if there has been an update to YUM recently that may not have completed?  Something that would move all the repo files to that "oldreposfiles" directory, and maybe I shut down that test box before it could complete?  Its weird.

And can anyone confirm that ALL of those files in the "oldrepofiles" directory should be in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory?  If so, I'll move them and try "yum update" again.  But some of those "sl" repos look a little scary, especially the "testing" ones!

Chuck