[BlueOnyx:06499] Re: OWM and Spam

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Mon Feb 14 23:44:12 -05 2011

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet <cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com>
Sent: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:09:58 -0600
Subject: [BlueOnyx:06498] Re: OWM and Spam

> Dan Porter wrote:
> > I can't give you a specific price as it depends on number of domains and number of email
> > addresses.   Looking at ours, right now I am averaging about $1.10 per user per month.
> > The more users, the better the price break.   We currently run approx 250 users and 50
> > domains.   If they quote you a price that is much higher, let me know and maybe you and
> > I can work out deal for a single user/domain.   Feel free to email me off list if you
> > wish to discuss it further.
>
> If you're running a small number of accounts that model makes sense.
>
> Alternatively, we offer a hosted solution that runs $29/mo for unlimited
> domains, unlimited accounts.
>
> Of course, since some sort of spam filtering is pretty much a commodity
> these days, most customers just expect you'll be providing it.
>
> --
> Chris Gebhardt

Diddo that!

Customers kinda expect that SPAM filtering service coming with their hosting and e-mail services these days.  Its kinda like free Internet at hotels/motels - if you don't offer it free, customers just go to someone else who does!

The company I support wanted to get that filtering load off all the BQ/BX hosting servers - so they finally bought a filtering appliance to sit out in front.  They went with the Roaring Penguin "CanIt" appliance.  Its worked a LOT better than expected!  They purchased the "Domain Pro" version and have about 150 domains passing through it right now.

And while it started out needing CLI knowledge/ability - each newer version has put more and more abilities into their GUI.  Now you can do everything from the GUI and their wizards are getting better and better.  The GUI even users log in themselves and manage their own "traps" - deciding what to do with the maybe messages or how to handle them in the future.

And they have a innovative idea for user logins - instead of having to create a user account on the appliance, it does a POP login to the user's e-mail server.  If the username/password for that customer is accepted by their e-mail server POP - the server lets them in to the appliance to manage the SPAM traps!  Its GREAT to avoid having to set up duplicate accounts on multiple servers!  Just let the customer set up a new user on their BX server - and they're automatically set up on the appliance.

I can't say enough about this company and their product.  I'd have preferred they used something other than Debian as the base for their appliance product (personal preference) - but it works like a champ!  And if you don't like Debian, don't buy the appliance load.  Get a different load and put it on your own Linux box (we used to use the Fedora load).

Chuck