[BlueOnyx:07529] Re: MX record preference numbers

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jun 22 22:21:48 -05 2011

User Ernie wrote:
> When you create a MX record with "Mail Highest" prioroty, it assigns a
> preference of 20 to the MX record. I have run into an absurd situation where a
> client is using a large well known mail filtering company, and can't get
> support from their helpdesk because the MX prefvernce is set to 20 not 10 as
> per their instructions!

Oh brother.  Sounds like you've run into the wrong "tech" at that end.
Anybody with half an understanding of MX preferences should be able to
figure that out.  But things aren't what they used to be over at
Post-Google.

> Is there some way to set the MX records preference to 10?

Not within the GUI.  You could probably edit the file by hand at
/etc/named/db.DOMAIN.TLD and then reload named.  But I don't know what
the long-term effects of that would be.  (Operating with an abundance of
caution, I typically don't try and make the system do something it
wasn't intended to do, because it usually has unintended consequences
down the road... but I'm not real daring with my production boxes!)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services