[BlueOnyx:06693] Re: what all needed to change server name (mail)

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Mon Mar 14 11:22:12 -05 2011

On 3/11/2011 6:37 PM, Lew Berry wrote:
> Change the name of the local site to mail.nomealaska.org and set your mx
> records to point to it as high priority and delete mx record for www....
> make sure you also have A record for mail.nome...... also allow for 72
> hours to propagate.

Thanks the help Lew!

I did those things and it didn't seem to work - if you change the name
of a server is there a need to restart any services?
I've had the A record for mail.nomealaska.org for several days now. I
did forget to fix up the ptr record which still points to nomealaska.org
instead of mail.

When I configured the email client (Thunderbird) to point to the pop3
server mail.nomealaska.org it changed my email address from
nomealaska.org to mail.nomealaska.org. So perhaps that is not what I
want to do.  I'll need to think this through a bit better.

cheers, JD

--
Jim Dory
Engineering