[BlueOnyx:06704] Re: cced gone wild

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 17:40:50 -05 2011

Hi Rashid,

I think this may be a similar issue to mine.

For me - the following occurs:

Steady, linear rise in new processes created on the server, 2 every 5 minutes
Admin GUI stops working
Restarting AdmSrv doesn't get GUI working
Websites continue to work until RAM on server is exhausted
Unable to restart HTTPD
Unable to restart cced
Unable to restart server

The only way to recover is a physical power cycle.

I only have one BX server that has this problem, and it occurs about once every 6 months.

I have set up an SNMP monitoring alert on system processes that alerts me when the number of processes rises above normal - in this way I can manually intervene and restart the box at night in a 'controlled' manner.

But I would really like some tips on how to investigate this problem further in order to find the culprit.....

Cheers,

Jeff