[BlueOnyx:06732] Re: new build ISO shell based network issues?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Mar 17 11:48:30 -05 2011

Roy Urick wrote:
> I was just doing SU and then running “setup” like I remember from my
> cobalt days, and possibly even BQ. Hard to say since its been years
> since I last deployed one of these boxes when it last worked.

Ah, this could be the issue.  When you complete the install from the CD
it will prompt you to reboot once the install is completed.

Then once the system fully boots it gets to a login prompt and asks you
to log in as "root" and "blueonyx".   Once you do, it will launch into
the initial interactive setup script to set IP, gateway, netmask and a
DNS server.  Fill all that in and it will load it to the correct places
and then restart network when it's done to load in the new config.  Once
that's complete it will give you the prompt to choose if you'd like to
immediately fetch the latest YUM update or not.  (I generally choose to
do that).

> You’d think that if “setup” no longer works properly as Chris
> suggested, it shouldn’t be there. Or if it needed to be around it
> would cause the proper setup program to kick off.

Some of the legacy things are there because they're hidden in the
background of other functions or script calls.  Other times it's because
they're a part of the CentOS distribution that can't be easily trimmed
away without causing other problems.   Generally though, so long as you
stick with using the correct scripts you shouldn't run into trouble.
Actually, this is the first time I've read of this particular issue!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services