[BlueOnyx:06839] better majordomo GUI?

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Wed Mar 30 21:48:04 -05 2011

Anyone know of a GUI solution for Majordomo that doesn't suck as bad as the
Raq550 and later implementation?

We actively use Majordomo in-house for distribution lists, and it works well
for us. Too bad the changes Sun made to the 550 made it totally unusable for
large numbers of lists. Anyone who has tried to use a 550 with a large
number of lists probably knows what I mean. When we migrated from our Raq4
to a new 550, we reverted back to the Raq4 for the lists within 48 hours it
was so bad and unusable.

Ideally an interface like the Raq4 would be perfect (specifically the
ability to list all lists on a single page(or at least a page selection by
letter), and display the members of each list on that page for easy
reference). My manager who runs the lists loves that layout to death, and is
perfect for her. Too bad it presently means we actually run a Raq4 in
production years later. It all works great until somebody decides to send a
2mb attachment to the entire group of 800 users, which literally slows the
system down to the point it takes half a day to burn through the entire list
of messages.  I'm just waiting for that box to fall over dead, as its well
beyond its usable life.

Anyone have any ideas for existing solutions? I REALLY don't like the idea
of continuing to run this old Raq4, and also don't like the price tag quoted
by a developer to recreate it for us on our BO platform.  Reinventing the
wheel just isn't my idea of a good time.

Thank you,

Roy Urick

IT Department

Koorsen Fire & Security