[BlueOnyx:08921] IP blocks for httpd and hosts.deny

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Fri Oct 28 11:58:48 -05 2011

I have two somewhat related questions/issues with setting up and/or
finding IP blocks for the httpd service.

First, we had a very persistent attempt at SQL injection from an Asian
IP address yesterday (over 227,000 hits). Once I saw it, I added that IP
address to /etc/hosts.deny. The hits persisted in
/var/log/httpd/access_log with 200 status. I then added a deny line in
the .htaccess file for that IP and while the hits persisted, they were
now all getting 403 status. One issue is that this still fills up both
my access_log and error_log to the point that it's hard to find other
things there. Is there a way to block httpd access to an IP address that
will keep all attempts out of the httpd logs? Also, I had always thought
that any IP addresses listed with ALL: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the
/etc/hosts.deny file would accomplish this. Apparently not, or if it
will, is there a specific service I need to restart for it to take
effect? I did restart httpd yesterday and it didn't change anything.

Second, I've got one valid user who suddenly over the past week can not
access any pages on our main site. She just gets a blank page or a
timeout message. She's tried with 3 different browsers and has tried
clearing her cache, all with the same results. I checked and her IP
address doesn't appear in /etc/hosts.deny or in the "Blocked hosts" tab
in the BO GUI under Security / Failed Logins. I also checked
/etc/apf/deny_hosts.rules and her IP isn't there either. Is there
somewhere else to look? The odd thing is that I see her requests in
/var/log/httpd/access_log with a 200 status, but the amount of data
returned is shown as about half that for any other request from others
on the same URL. That sounds more like a browser cache issue to me, but
she's tried this with 3 different browsers with the same results. I'm at
a loss for where to look next. I have asked her to try to access other
sites on the same virtual server and on another VS, but have not heard
back the results from her on those attempts.

--
Jim Matysek