[BlueOnyx:08425] Re: OpenVZ template - can't start setup

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Sep 11 10:17:21 -05 2011

Hi Frank,

> The first problem was that Proxmox (here a v1.8) need to have a
> configuration file in /etc/vz/dists, to initialize the vm, however it
> uses a "default" file.
> So I copy dists/centos.conf to dists/blueonyx.conf (because the template
> was renamed to  "blueonyx-xxxxxxxxxxx.tar.gz"), and it uses it now. I
> note that there is a "scientific.conf" file which is exactly the same as
> centos.conf (and blueonyx.conf, now :) ).

Very well.

> No option in the Proxmox vm creation screen to setup quotas.

No? Oh, OK. That's weird.

> Starting the VM, I find :
> - Two interfaces, venet0 (in 127.0.0.1) and venet0:0 (with the IP I
> gave). Strange...

Yeah, that's normal. Also note the somewhat weird gateway. :o)

> Eventually : do you know a command line vith vzctl to correctly create a
> vm with the templates at devel.blueonyx.it/openvz/ ? Maybe can I try
> this to see the differences with the command used by Proxmox ?

I usually use one of my sample configs as a template for VPS creation. Here is
my 20% config sample from one box:

#> cat /etc/vz/conf/ve-20_percent.conf-sample

# Configuration file generated by vzsplit for 5 containers
# on HN with total amount of physical mem 8073 Mb
# low memory 814 Mb, swap size 4095 Mb, Max treads 8000
# Resourse commit level 0:
# Free resource distribution. Any parameters may be increased
# Primary parameters
NUMPROC="1600:1600"
AVNUMPROC="416:416"
NUMTCPSOCK="1600:1600"
NUMOTHERSOCK="1600:1600"
VMGUARPAGES="603869:2147483647"

# Secondary parameters
KMEMSIZE="34145730:37560303"
TCPSNDBUF="4828310:11381910"
TCPRCVBUF="4828310:11381910"
OTHERSOCKBUF="2414155:8967755"
DGRAMRCVBUF="2414155:2414155"
OOMGUARPAGES="603869:2147483647"
PRIVVMPAGES="1240162:1364178"

# Auxiliary parameters
LOCKEDPAGES="1667:1667"
SHMPAGES="124016:124016"
PHYSPAGES="0:2147483647"
NUMFILE="13312:13312"
NUMFLOCK="1000:1100"
NUMPTY="160:160"
NUMSIGINFO="1024:1024"
DCACHESIZE="7444380:7667712"
NUMIPTENT="20000:20000"
DISKINODES="21802480:23982729"
CPUUNITS="88883"

ONBOOT="yes"
DISKSPACE="185131042:200558628"
NUMPROC="800:800"
QUOTATIME="0"
DISK_QUOTA=yes
QUOTAUGIDLIMIT="10000"

Note the last three parameters above, which specify the quota related stuff.

I typically then create a VPS this way:

/usr/sbin/vzctl create <VPSID> --ostemplate name.tar.gz --config
20_percent.conf

Once it's created, I set the network related info:

/usr/sbin/vzctl set <VPSID> --nameserver "192.168.0.1" --hostname www.test.com
--ipadd 192.168.1.1 --onboot yes --save

That should do the trick.