[BlueOnyx:08677] Re: home directory suggestion

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Thu Sep 29 18:20:43 -05 2011

I agree that we also have hundreds of users, and hardly anyone (if anyone) uses the private website feature.  But, I don't want to loose that feature.  Some people do value it.

I've already set my BX server's default so when adding a new site, the feature "Enable user owned webs " is turned off.  But I've noticed that BX still creates those /user/web directories when adding a user to the box.

Yep - I just checked that on my test 5107R box.  When I created the site www.test.com and the user test_admin, it created the user's home directory with /web in it.  Even though the "Enable user owned webs" was off in the site creation.

Maybe we should change the configuration so those /user/web directories are not created unless that box is checked.   That might help with the confused users who don't know where to drop the site's files versus their private webpage's files.  That way, the /user/web directories are not created by default - and we should have fewer calls from idiots.

Chuck

P.S. On the good side - this invalidates my reply to Dan Porter yesterday.  On the old BQ servers, I had observed it not creating the user's home directory until the first e-mail message came in for that account.  But BX doesn't act that way.  Sorry Dan...