[BlueOnyx:10033] Re: Conf files replaced by update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Apr 4 06:48:03 -05 2012

Hi Frank,

> First, I have a mail server in the sendmail config of which I have added
> some lines concerning spam and virus detection. The sendmail.cf and .mc
> are replaced each time sendmail is updated on the server. What seems
> strange to me is that I thought that yum was able to detect a modified
> config file and to not overwrite it...

Yes, during such massives updates it is kind of unavoidable that some config
files get updated. Especially the configuration for AdmServ and Sendmail will
get updated and whatever additions you made to those will be lost.

Generally you shouldn't modify your sendmail.cf. Any modification should go
into sendmail.mc, which our updates will never overwrite. So whenever
sendmail.cf is rebuilt from the sendmail.mc during an update, your changes
will be retained.

As for the AdmServ configuration: This is a "no-go territory".  You should not
modify AdmServ's configuration for any reason. If you do so, then that will
always be at your own risk and will always be entirely unsupported and highly
discouraged.

> Second, on some BO servers, my customers have requested the most recent
> version of PHP.

5107R and 5108R already come with PHP-5.3.3 pre-installed, while the older
5106R of course still uses PHP-5.1.6.

Additionally for 5106R, 5107R and 5108R there are supported third party PHP
updates available from Solarspeed.net and Compass Networks. None of these
third party PHP updates requires any changes to AdmServ. Likewise, these third
party PHP updates don't break during YUM updates and are available with (and
without) subscription to future PHP updates.