[BlueOnyx:10034] Re: Conf files replaced by update

Frank Soyer fsoyer at systea.net
Wed Apr 4 07:47:24 -05 2012

Hi Michael,

Le 04/04/2012 13:48, Michael Stauber a écrit :
> Hi Frank,
>
>> First, I have a mail server in the sendmail config of which I have added
>> some lines concerning spam and virus detection. The sendmail.cf and .mc
>> are replaced each time sendmail is updated on the server. What seems
>> strange to me is that I thought that yum was able to detect a modified
>> config file and to not overwrite it...
> Yes, during such massives updates it is kind of unavoidable that some config
> files get updated. Especially the configuration for AdmServ and Sendmail will
> get updated and whatever additions you made to those will be lost.
>
> Generally you shouldn't modify your sendmail.cf. Any modification should go
> into sendmail.mc, which our updates will never overwrite. So whenever
> sendmail.cf is rebuilt from the sendmail.mc during an update, your changes
> will be retained.
Are you sure ? When I modify the .cf, I need to compile the .mc file as
sendmail only know this one.
So the .mc file contains my modifications at this time. You see ?
> As for the AdmServ configuration: This is a "no-go territory".  You should not
> modify AdmServ's configuration for any reason. If you do so, then that will
> always be at your own risk and will always be entirely unsupported and highly
> discouraged.
I understand that it's unsupported, of course. I just wondered if it was
not an option in yum, maybe...
>> Second, on some BO servers, my customers have requested the most recent
>> version of PHP.
> 5107R and 5108R already come with PHP-5.3.3 pre-installed, while the older
> 5106R of course still uses PHP-5.1.6.
Yes, but the 5107 and 5108 are based on Scientific Linux and it's
problematic for some clients, convincing them to use CentOS instead of
RH was already complicated, so Scientific Linux.... I know that you had
already have this remarks and that you are working on the CentOS6
release, right ?

If it's so, I suppose there is no possibility to just install the
"base-*" files from 5607 or 5608 on this boxes, by modifying the yum
repos, and keeping the PHP5.3 installed ?

The servers where the webUI was broken was 5106, but was up-to-date
(redhat-release say "5.8"). Do you mean that the files are updated but
always for a version 5.1 of PHP ? Do you maintain 2 branches, for PHP
5.1 and PHP 5.3, of the UI ?
To be clear about the problem described, I haven't *moved* the admserv
directories, but *copied* them in another location. So the updates of
"base-*" have been applied in the original directories. When the files
php.ini and php.conf were replaced, the pathes returned to these
directories, and then admserv restarted with the installed PHP : 5.3.8,
but in error.

> Additionally for 5106R, 5107R and 5108R there are supported third party PHP
> updates available from Solarspeed.net and Compass Networks. None of these
> third party PHP updates requires any changes to AdmServ. Likewise, these third
> party PHP updates don't break during YUM updates and are available with (and
> without) subscription to future PHP updates.

About that, can you tell me if the prices given on Solarspeed for
example are a definitive prices, or a yearly (monthly ?) rental ?

Thanks
Frank