[BlueOnyx:10067] Re: Conf files replaced by update

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Fri Apr 6 07:57:39 -05 2012

Hi Roy.

On 4/6/2012 9:25 PM, Roy Urick wrote:
> I'm with Frank.  I too can confirm the .mc file gets overwritten for seemingly no good reason. I have several tweaks in my file that when replaced causes mail to stop flowing In my environment. It's quite frustrating to one day discover my mail server is "broken" and I have to go in and re-apply my config file changes.

I have not had a specific chat to Michael to discuss this, but let me
give a generic answer. Type this command on your console.

     rpm -qif /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

When you type that command, you will notice it was built at
builder10.centos.org for 5106R (and I assume an SL buildhost for 5107/5108).

The sendmail.mc file in this case is not owned by a BlueOnyx generated
RPM. I have not specifically investigated this specific issue... but at
face value - the file is dependent on upstream RPM files. Sometimes,
problems in the way the upstream files are created can cause problems.

We could make our own SPEC files for each and every RPM in BlueOnyx, but
it would be impossible to manage.

I hope that helps to understand that sometimes, conf file overwrites are
not something that can be controlled by this project.

Regards,
Greg.