[BlueOnyx:10074] Re: Conf files replaced by update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 6 11:36:18 -05 2012

Hi Chris,

> Ah, I see.  This is "new" information for me as I have always understood
> that /etc/mail/sendmail.mc was the file to edit.

If you intend to make changes to sendmail.mc, then /etc/mail/sendmail.mc is
the place to make the edits. As that's where the "make" command will look when
it builds the sendmail.cf from the sendmail.mc

> But if I understand you correctly you are saying that if we want our
> configuration customizations to remain intact, we should instead make
> those to /usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/sendmail.mc
>
> Is that correct?

Depends. /usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/ has three sendmail.mc's in it:

sendmail.mc				<- Neither Mailman nor Majordomo present
sendmail.mc.mailman		<- Mailman present
sendmail.mc.majordomo	<- Majordomo present

You could edit them and be safe until the next base-blueonyx.mod update. Which
will change them. That will happen maybe once a year on the average. But no
promises on that frequency. There could be a need to change it more often than
that - you know how that goes.

Bottom line: sendmail.mc is not imune to changes. But yes, placing your copy
in /usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/ (with the right name matching your mailing
list software) can help.