[BlueOnyx:10120] Re: Bandwidth

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Thu Apr 12 18:40:29 -05 2012

> Have a simple question, maybe a stupid question, but is there somewhere in /
> on BO5106 where I can see how much bandwidth the server as a whole is using
> on a monthly basis for all processes?

Historically I use iptables and MRTG to do this.  For iptables...

LOCALIPS=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep "inet addr" | cut -f 2 -d":" | cut -f 1
-d" "`
for IP in $LOCALIPS; do
     /sbin/iptables -A acctin -d $IP
     /sbin/iptables -A acctout -s $IP
done

... and MRTG...

INDATA=`/sbin/iptables -xvn -L acctin | grep " $IP" | head -1 | awk
'{print $2}'`
OUTDATA=`/sbin/iptables -xvn -L acctout | grep " $IP" | head -1 | awk
'{print $2}'`

... although, as Chris says, any enterprise switch or ISP should be able
to give you this data nowadays.

Dan

--
Find me online : http://www.dogsbody.info/