[BlueOnyx:10148] sendmail.cf changes after reboot?

Chad Bersche chad at bersche.com
Mon Apr 16 11:56:12 -05 2012

I've seen much discussion of late on why sendmail.cf keeps getting
overwritten.  I rebooted my server yesterday morning at about 6:09am,
which coincides with the time that both my sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc
files were updated.  The sendmail.mc continued to have my smart relay
host defined, but sendmail.cf did not, and consequently I start getting
bounced emails back when we can't appropriately route outgoing emails to
the smart relay host.  The only fix I've been able to get to work
reliably is to manually edit my sendmail.cf and restart the mail
services (yes, this is obviously not the best way, but when it's the
only thing that works, you do it...)

I've double checked the Email settings thru the UI, and the smart relay
host is appropriately set, but apparently at reboot time, this setting
didn't make it into the sendmail.cf.

So, can anyone tell me why my settings aren't getting properly applied,
or why they would reset after a reboot?  This is baffling me and I'm
frustrated that I change it, and then it gets changed back.  I really do
want to this this fixed so that a reboot won't cause things to revert
back to an incorrect state.

Thanks much for any advice.