[BlueOnyx:10172] Yup - there's an app for that!

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Wed Apr 18 13:01:49 -05 2012

I had a recent round of "fun" on one site. A virtual server was occasionally
getting overloaded for a bit, then going back to the normal light load. I've
seen this happen for lots of reasons, but mostly when wordpress has too many
or poorly designed plug-ins installed and it runs over the 32MB memory limit
I've got.

Enough of the good old days, there's a new app in town. SiteSucker!
http://itunes.apple.com/app/sitesucker/id442168834?mt=12

This little baby was sucking down a large framework based cms site as fast
as it could hit it. Load factor was hovering up around 10 for hours. It
apparently runs in some kind of multi-threaded mode where it's punching
multiple requests as fast as it can. Just plain rude.

We ended up using the sitexx.include file to

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent ^SiteSucker.* goaway
<Location /home/.sites/xx/sitexx/web>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=goaway
</Location>

So, want to impede a CMS based web site? Yup, there's an app for that.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie