[BlueOnyx:10230] Re: 5106R/5107R/5108R YUM updates - more fixes published

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 20 07:35:43 -05 2012

Hi Dan,

> May I suggest we bring back the testing repo?  A repository that you can
> put new code in before it gets moved into the production repo.  This can
> even be automated so that things go in there for 24-48 hours beforehand.

Yes, that is something to consider.

The problem is that we would need a fair number of testers so that we have an
ample coverage of all the different platforms. And they would need to be on
the ball when test-updates are released and would need to provide a timely
feedback.

There are updates that I don't want to sit on for a week until enough feedback
has been gathered from testing.

On the other hand: We're approaching 20.000 BlueOnyx installs and can't really
afford another update debacle such as this.

The lessons learned from this so far are:

- Yes, updates need more testing. And the testing needs to be done on "stock"
Blueonyx boxes as well as those with some or all extras.

- I must allow for more time between coding and final release, so that I'm not
the only one who's doing the testing.

- More testers are needed.

- Updates will go to the [BlueOnyx-Testing] YUM repository first.

- Potential setup of a [BlueOnyx-Testing] mailing list so that testers and
developers can exchange feedback about updates without cluttering this list.
Worth considering, but not urgent.

So sometime tonight I will set up the testing repositories for 5107R and
5108R, which currently don't have them.

Likewise I'll modify the release mechanism so that newly released updates go
to the respective testing repositories first.