[BlueOnyx:10250] Re: Trojans and backdoors? - Suggested BlueOnyx improvement

Maurice de Laat mdlaat at muisnetwerken.nl
Fri Apr 20 09:05:40 -05 2012

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:14:50AM +0200, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Finally the following three lines are added to the Apache Vhost containers of
> any sites that have PHP or suPHP enabled:
>
> php_admin_flag mail.add_x_header On
> php_admin_value sendmail_path /usr/sausalito/sbin/phpsendmail
> php_admin_value auto_prepend_file
> /usr/sausalito/configs/php/set_php_headers.php

Indeed a nice addon which helps us finding offending php scripts, thank
you.

However, I'm wondering what this will do in my non default setup. Hope you
can explain.

I already have php_admin_value sendmail_path set for each vsite's apache
config in each sitexx.include file. This probably will conflict with the
new settings I guess?

The reason I change the sendmail_path is probably explained by me in the
thread
http://www.bluequartz.org/ml/archive/coba-e/16500/16529.html
(found by google) but unfortunatly bluequartz.org is down.

In short:
phpscripts (non suPHP) run as apache, therefor the smtp 'evenloppe from'
from mails send by php scripts is set to apache at ..., leaving non
deliverables in the wrong mailbox. By examining the owner of the index
file on the website, I have php call sendmail with the option
-f'useremail', where 'useremail' is set to the emailaddress of the user
that owns the website, so ho/she has access to the non-deliverables, and I
have less mail to send to /dev/null.

While typing this, I think about the next step. :-)
It would be really nice if the new phpsendmail script would also call
sendmail with that -f option, to set the enveloppe from to the user that
owns the php script.

Just a thought.
Thanks.
--