[BlueOnyx:10256] Re: grub.conf problems

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 20 09:45:06 -05 2012

Hi Steven,

> Just realised our BlueOnyx boxes on SL are not running the latest kernel
> that is installed. I looked in /boot/grub/menu.lst and the new kernels
> were not in there. They were however in /etc/grub.conf . It looks like yum
> is putting the kernels in /etc/grub.conf but grub is using
> /boot/grub/grub.conf... All our boxes are pretty consistent about this.

Hmmm ... OK. I have seen this behaviour on Aventurin{e} 6106R, too. But I
thought it was just the OpenVZ kernel that misbehaved here.

Over there I'm fixing this with this little round about shell script:

#!/bin/sh
# Setup newest Kernel as default:
KERNEL=`ls -k1 /boot/vmlinuz-*| sed s#/boot/vmlinuz-##|sort -V -r|head -1`
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --depmod --install \
--make-default $KERNEL
cat /etc/grub.conf | grep -v ^serial |grep -v ^terminal > /boot/grub/grub.conf
cp /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf

That'll make sure that the latest kernel is added as default kernel to
/boot/grub/grub.conf and it'll also copy /boot/grub/grub.conf back over
/etc/grub.conf.

Wasn't aware that 5107R and 5108R had the same issue. I'll check and will
(after a lot of testing!) release an update which takes care of this.

Thanks for the info!