[BlueOnyx:10347] Re: Updating PHP

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Apr 26 11:51:26 -05 2012

SB9-PageKeeper Service wrote:
> Where is the best deal for the php upgrade for 5106r to be found? Do
> they take paypal?
> I'm In the usa.

I wouldn't get mine from a source other than Compass or Solarspeed.
Both accept PayPal.  Both are overseas.  Both provide a good level of
service and support, and what's more, they are active in furthering
BlueOnyx.   Without their ongoing support of the project, it would be
substantially more challenging for the platform to continue.

Compass PHP
http://www.compassnetworks.com.au/shop/compass-php-p-44.html

Solarspeed PHP
http://www.solarspeed.net/product.php?id_product=36

There are those that advocate "rolling your own".  I'm not going to say
this is "wrong", but I think that the engineered PKGs are a better way
to go for the sake of continuity because the developers have taken
precautions so that the upgrades will not interfere with the operation
of the system, and won't be blown out by a YUM update (or cause
something else to be blown out due to dependencies).

And of course there's the whole thing about supporting those that
support the free BlueOnyx software that we enjoy... but that's less
tangible for a lot of folks, I guess.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services