[BlueOnyx:11144] Re: Mailman in Blue Onyx

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Aug 10 05:03:44 -05 2012

Hi all,

>> Mailman

Like said: If one really wants mailing lists without numerical prefixes,
then there is the "Site Prefix" feature. If it's enabled, lists will be
created with the site prefix instead of the numerical prefix.

Tobias wrote:
> I would highly appreciate if the lists are created without prefix.
> And I even cannot see the need of the prefix. As far as I can see
> it is only used as an email address and this already has to be
> unique for every domain.

That requires additional checks to determine if that alias (all all
iterations of it used by the list) are free, which can be done in a
handler. But if "Site Prefix" is enabled for that site, you get a
prefixed mailing list address again. If we exclude mailing lists from
prefixing, then that defeats the purpose of the "Site Prefix" feature.

Rickard wrote:
> it shouldn't be to hard to add a public alias to the name, Michael?

Possible,it boils down to two days of coding and testing at the least to
make sure it all survives CMU as well. But for what gain?

Guys, I look at it this way: The mailing lists work. If it ain't broken,
don't fix it. Especially not for something that's just cosmetics and eye
candy AND already provided through another feature: Site Prefix.

EVENTUALLY this might be tackled in one way or another. But I don't see
it happen this year. Unless someone else does it.