[BlueOnyx:11164] Samba / Permission changes in recent update?

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Tue Aug 14 18:15:33 -05 2012

We recently updated a BlueOnyx server from

2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 17:53:09 EST 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 17 17:08:10 EDT 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

In order to fix a suPHP issue.

The update worked - however today we get a call from a customer that is now unable to upload files to his website.

It turns out that this particular customer did not use a site configured with suPHP - but was using the old method and uploading files via a centralised FTP system that is linked to Samba share on his BX Server / vSite.

Samba was correctly configured and working before the update - with a samba user / password. The central FTP system would then this samba user to log in to his vSite and present files like this.

After this update, the FTP server is now unable to connect to any vSite Samba shares. Samba is running OK, it lists /home/sites OK - and the FTP system can also get access to the Samba user home directory on BX. But pretty much nothing else.

..and not any vSites - we get permission denied.

I have chown'd the files in the vSite back to the samba user - but this doesn't help.

Does anyone know why this functionality would suddenly change?

Jeff