[BlueOnyx:11190] Re: Samba / Permission changes in recent update?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 16 17:51:44 -05 2012

Hi Jeff,

> I have chown'd the files in the vSite back to the samba user - but this
> doesn't help.
>
> Does anyone know why this functionality would suddenly change?

This is not really a typical usage scenario, so I'm not sure I can help
there. I do have extensive experience with Samba and also use a 5107R
box as primary domain controller and fileserver in my office network.

On that 5107R (with all updates applied) I had no problems with Samba
after this update. Everything works the same as before.

The only ongoing Samba troubles I have are on an FC17 that I upgraded
from FC15. It used to play nice in conjunction with the Samba on my
5107R, but since the upgrade all kinds of things went astray. From the
FC17 box being "invisible" in the network neighborhood down to UID/GID
and/or access control problems on accessing the shares. Feels like back
in the late 90's when every new Samba version was full of surprises and
glitches <sigh>.