[BlueOnyx:11255] Re: archive email

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Aug 31 11:19:27 -05 2012

Hi Gerald,

> I have a client that due to gov regulations must start archiving all
> emails (sent and received).
> Has anyone tackled a similar problem.
>
> Ideas on applications and storage of all that email.

There are a few commercial solutions available. The Barracuda one has
already been mentioned. Here is another one:

http://www.artec-it.de/en/Auf_einen_Blick/Funktionsuebersicht/Mail.aspx

(You can switch the page to English in the upper righthand corner).

The thing is that most of these appliances have to conform to a few laws
and regulations, which might vary on the form of incorporation of the
user and where he is located.

This appliance apparently conforms with Article 147 of the Revenue Code,
GDPdU regulations, Basel II and (important for USA clients) the
Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Lastly there are also privacy concerns and concerns about possible
complains from worker unions. All in all this appliance here seems to
have it all covered. For example: To access emails a two person
oversight is needed, so that the disgruntled helldesk guy can't snoop
around in the porn stash of the CEO and the baking recipe mails of the
secretary from human resources.

There may be ways to set it all up in a DIY fashion, but as a lot of
legal factors apply that might vary from place to place, this might be
somewhat risky. If it's for a big client, then I would suggest to
offload that kind of responsibility and chuck out some cash for a really
professional appliance that was designed from the ground up with all
those issues in mind.