[BlueOnyx:11043] Re: Mailman prob

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sun Jul 29 22:51:52 -05 2012

OK. Answering my own question - since I found the resolution.  Just thought that others might need it.

When you create a new e-mail list in Mailman - it will demand moderator approval of every message, even if you configure it for no moderator approval.  I spent many hours trying to figure out why it kept demanding moderator approval - even though the list was set to "Only subscribers can Post Messages", and no list members were set for moderator approval.

So in searching, I found there is a default setting under the PRIVACY SETTINGS, and RECIPIENT FILTERS.  The first option on that page is "Must posts have list named in destination field".  This is the problem.  Since BX creates the site as HOSTNAME.DOMAIN.TLD - the default e-mail address is username at hostname.domain.TLD (as in listmembers at www.tetlow.net).  But of course, the e-mail list address desired (and works) is listname at domain.TLD - like listmembers at tetlow.net.  No hostname in the e-mail address.  And that's the problem.

Since the BX site default is username at host.domain.TLD - Mailman is looking for that exact address.  And with that privacy setting set on YES - it will hold and demand a moderator approval for any message that doesn't have that exact address.  So when I sent a test message to listmembers at www.tetlow.net, it went through.  But a message to listmembers at tetlow.net would wait for approval.

That's the fix - set the option "Must posts have list named in destination field" to NO.  And it will now work without the hostname in the e-mail address.

The down side - there's a very small chance some SPAM might get through to the list with that option turned off.  But its unlikely.

Hope that helps all those with similar Mailman problems.  I'm still trying to figure out how to set that configuration's default to NO when creating new lists, and will pass that along if I find it.

Chuck