[BlueOnyx:11045] Editing files in BX / Centos 6 recovery mode - how!?

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Mon Jul 30 05:29:07 -05 2012

Hi all,

I used the BX Centos 6 based recovery mode for the first time last week.

After booting fro the iso and getting through initial recovery - I finally managed to get through to the basic shell to see my file system. I just needed to edit a few config files.

However - when I tried to 'vi' anything, my config file shows up - however none of the usual 'vi' commands seemed to work. For instance 'I' did not enable edit mode.

On examining the Centos website, there is a section about recovery mode, in which it mentions something about 'joe' which is another editor. It clearly states that if you type 'vi' commands, you will get joe instead. But I can't find any trace of 'joe' on the cd or disk.

All I can see in /user/bin is vi - but it's not itself - seems badly broken or something.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jeff