[BlueOnyx:10678] Re: HTTPD stop

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue May 29 12:01:22 -05 2012

Hi Marcello,

> today i noticed that on my 5108 Server the admin page was not working. If i
> go to http://<my-ip>:444 i got a blank page. So i thinked to restart httpd.
> The service has been stopped but never restarts. If i connect to the server
> with ssh and type service httpd start it says me Starting httpd.... but
> nothing.. no errors, nothing. Only infinite wait. So i've traced the
> command and it says me:
>
> open("/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY)
> = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY) =
> -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY) =
> -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/initscripts.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> I've done recently updates but no reboot since last updates.
>
> Does anyone know the reason of this issue?

That's weird. The language files you listed there are part of the
"initscripts" RPM.

If any process cannot find them, then this could mean one of two things:

a) The RPM "initscripts" is damaged and files from it are missing. In that
case this can be fixed by running "yum reinstall initscripts".

b) The file /etc/sysconfig/i18n is damaged and does no longer contain the
relevant information to set the system language correctly.

On a 5108R with the GUI set to English it should read like this:

[root at 5108r devel]# cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG=en_US
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LINGUAS="en_US da_DK de_DE ja_JP"

Please check these two things and see if that makes a difference.