[BlueOnyx:11491] Re: Network interface problem

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Thu Oct 4 17:34:24 -05 2012

On Oct 4, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:

> Jeff Folk wrote:
>> Had a hardware failure last night… My trusty, dusty Dimension 5150 finally croaked. So, to get my hobby server up again, I swapped the drives into a spare Optiplex GX 620. Booted with no problems, or so I thought…
>>
>> I get an admin mail stating that eth1 is down (eth1 is my on-board nic, set to local IP). When I look at my active interfaces, I have loop, eth0 (3com pci card, public IP) and a p2p1 which is down. Defined interfaces are eth0, eth1, and loop.
>>
>> Also getting swatch emails stating:
>>
>> /usr/sausalito/swatch/bin/am_network.sh: line 64: [: too many arguments
>>
>> Google states that there has been a change in hardware naming, and I guess I'm getting caught in changing hardware after OS install. They suggest adding a line to grub.conf (biosdevname=0).
>>
>> Will this set me straight? What are the suggestions of the group? At the moment this only kills my nightly ftp backup to my other server over LAN, which I would really like to get back…
>

> First things first.... open up your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file and see if there is a MAC
> address hard-coded in there.   It will be a line that starts with:
> HWADDR
>
> If there is, just comment out that line, then restart network and see
> what happens.

So, what I have done… the good the bad the ugly…

Edited all ifcfg-eth# files for correct IP addresses
Removed the old udev device mapping file
Modified grub.conf to have biosdevname=0 at the end of the kernel line
Rebooted

Both interfaces came up (although reverse of before - pci card is now LAN, and built-in is WAN), however, I am still getting swatch errors:

/usr/sausalito/swatch/bin/am_network.sh: line 64: [: too many arguments

Very interesting these 'improvements' after upgrade to SL 6.3

Jeff