[BlueOnyx:11548] Re: BlueOnyx on GitHub

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 18 05:30:16 -05 2012

Hi Tjerk,

> Just a suggestion.. as many small and big code projects move to GitHub
> for source control, will BlueOnyx move to GitHub too?
>
> It has built in bug reports.. wiki’s... People can fork the project,
> edit it and then issue a pull request so the main project.
>
> It is free for open source and will import the current SVN:
> https://help.github.com/articles/importing-from-subversion
>
> Git is rapidly becoming the new standard and seems to improve community
> input

Naaaaah. I don't think so. You see, in my view the issue between GIT and
SVN is more a clash of cultures and religions than one that's backed by
scientific facts. ;-)

For day to day code maintenance tasks I'm perfectly happy with
Subversion. It has everything we need and the handling is
straightforward. Likewise, all our tools and helper scripts are based on
SVN. Rewriting them all for GIT and not getting one yota more of useful
functionality is simply a waste of time. Sure, I can see how GIT may
aide larger projects where you have many code maintainers working on
code simultaneously. GIT seems to handle this a little better than SVN,
but that's a thing we don't really need either.

Likewise: I'm perfectly happy with us running our code repository
ourselves instead of handing it off to an anonymous organization for
which we'd only be another (small) brick in the wall.