[BlueOnyx:11602] BlueOnyx VMWare sizing

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Thu Oct 25 09:52:26 -05 2012

OK, So we need to virtualize an instance of BO (5107R-SL-6.3). As I
recall its Vmware friendly.

Any suggestions on making it as thin as possible? We are needing to run
one domain purely for smtp/imap for device mailboxes. We are moving off
of BO in favor of hosted Exchange 2010, but really dont feel like paying
for  the mailbox licenses of our 150 or so internet connected devices
that just send administrative alerts via email. (scanners, copiers,
management servers,  etc.)

I recall seeing people doing similar setups and painting themselves into
a corner by choosing a data store that is too small and the OS runs out
of room on its partitions. How much RAM? Whats the minimum safe drive
size I need to allocate in VMWARE for one of these things?  Im only
interested in what the OS needs. I'll pad the suggestion(s) with what I
think the mailboxes will use after I finish collecting the existing
mailbox size data.

  Any other sage advice from those that have done this before and
learned the hard way?