[BlueOnyx:11622] Re: BIND config

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Oct 26 20:51:48 -05 2012

Hi all,

>> > I have used this on several servers and it works, the gui does not help,
>> > tried it.
>> >
>> > In /etc/maned.conf
>> >       options {
>> >     recursion no;
>> > };
> I hope you meant "named.conf", not "maned".. which was the point of my
> poor attempt at humor from the first message.
>
> Such an entry can work with *normal* bind config files, but BX isn't
> 'normal' in how it does things.

Actually this setting can be configured through the GUI:

"Network Services" / "DNS". Then see the "Advanced" tab. It's the option
that's called "Cache Record Lookups". The mouseover help text explains
it: "Enabling caching, also called recursion, allows resolution of
domains and network zones that other name servers are authoritative for.
Disabling caching is useful when operating this server on a private
network."