[BlueOnyx:11398] Re: Fund-raising for a modern BlueOnyx theme

Steven Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Tue Sep 25 03:57:43 -05 2012

On 25 Sep 2012, at 09:33, Tjerk Hacquebord wrote:
> Good to see the layout is going to be renewed. I like it so I did a small
> donation and encourage everyone to do so.

Thanks for the donation - much appreciated.

> In terms of renewing.. would it be an idea to drop CODB when implementing
> the new design?
> CODB has a way of getting corrupt and its actual data is 'invisible' to most
> users. Why not use something like a separate MySQL local admin server to
> generate all the config files etc?
> It has advantages in backup, error detecting, inserting, editing data..
> I know it has nothing to do with the design but maybe when implementing the
> new design it is a good time to look at the other end too.

This has been considered, but there is a lot of work. Just migration alone is a nightmare. I don't think it has been entirely ruled out - but I'd say it was unlikely. I've looked at it in the past and it's a nightmare. There's also how the handlers etc are fired on changes - most backends wouldn't support this so we'd need a wrapper in front of it. I'll have a look at various options - but I'll warn you that it's quite unlikely it'll change any time soon..

Steve