[BlueOnyx:13509] Re: EMail clogging up - DNS?

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Sat Aug 10 08:00:03 -05 2013

On 8/9/2013 12:30 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> It seems pretty clear this is a DNS failure.   So if you fix the DNS
> issue, this should fix that problem.
>
> Are you using the DNS servers provided by your ISP?   Are they
> responsive if you query them from the VPS?
>
> Once you're certain that your DNS issue is solved, if you want to
> immediately process the queue, then you can issue this:
> sendmail -q -v
>
> That will step through each message and attempt delivery.

I think I found a way out. It happened again yesterday just after I sent
my first email. Later in the day I went looking though /etc/cron.daily
to see if I could find anything to try that may help resolve the
situation, since it always resolves itself overnight. Running
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/apf restart >> /dev/null 2>&1" did the trick as
nslookup resolved immediately after restarting APF and mail was able to
go out then. I don't know yet what it had blocked that led to this (will
poke around a bit before restarting it the next time it occurs), but at
least I can resolve the issue without re-booting now.

-jim