[BlueOnyx:13505] Re: EMail clogging up - DNS?

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Aug 9 12:56:18 -05 2013

On 08/09/2013 11:22 AM, Jim Matysek wrote:
> We've had this happen every now and then, particularly during heavy
> usage times on the server.
>
> Running 5106R on an Aventurin{e} VPS. What happens is that email sent to
> our hosted domains gets stuck in /var/spool/mqueue and not delivered. We
> can get thousands of messages stuck there in the course of several
> hours. When I shell into the machine and try an nslookup usms.org (our
> main domain), I get a timeout saying ";; connection timed out; no
> servers could be reached". So it appears that is the reason why the mail
> isn't getting through - it can't find the domain that is hosted on this
> server.
>
> I've tried restarting DNS through the gui or via the command line using
> named restart to no avail. I've tried restarting sendmail via the shell.
> Nothing I try seems to un-stick this except re-booting that VPS.
> HOWEVER, if I notice the problem late at night I can just let it go and
> one of the automated nightly server tasks will un-stick it. Does anyone
> have any ideas what it is that may be working overnight that I can try
> via the command line? Re-booting is too big a hammer to hit it with
> during the day when we have important activities going on that we don't
> want to interrupt.

Check with whois
   whois usms.org
Name Server:ADMIN.USMS.ORG
Name Server:NS.USMS.ORG

dig usms.com @NS.USMS.ORG

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.5 <<>> usms.com @NS.USMS.ORG
;; global options: +cmd

dig usms.com @admin.USMS.ORG

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.5 <<>> usms.com
@admin.USMS.ORG
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 30018
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;usms.com.            IN    A

--
gerald