[BlueOnyx:13513] Re: kickstart: eth0 does not exist

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Aug 11 00:32:54 -05 2013

Hi Maurice,

> I am trying to setup 5108R on a new server, using the most recent iso
> based on Scientific Linux 6.3. The kickstart installation fails to start
> with an error on line 8: "The provided network interface eth0 does not
> exist".
>
> If I get myself a prompt using alt-f2, ifconfig only displays the loopback
> adapter.
>
> The 2 onboard nics are enabled in the bios.
>
> Server is a SuperMicro 5018D-MF:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5018/SYS-5018D-MF.cfm
> which contains the X10SLL-F mainboard:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLL-F.cfm
> with 1x Intel® i217LM & 1x Intel® i210AT NIC.
>
> How can I get the installation to recognise the nics?

Looks like the kernel on the install CD doesn't recognize these NICs due
to missing drivers. I think the i217LM are fairly new, aren't they?

To help me out you could try to see if the latest CentOS CD installs on
these servers and gets you working NICs. If so, I'll then roll up new
BlueOnyx CDs which should then include these drivers as well.