[BlueOnyx:13562] Re: Crashed drive

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sat Aug 17 09:32:07 -05 2013

I feel your pain Gregg,

I had a BX server rebooted back at the beginning of the year.  Same LVM problem.  Driver doesn't load, LVM partition not available, kernel panic.  I still have that virtual machine sitting around waiting for me to figure out enough about LVM to get into it and rescue some data that had not been backed up yet.

I think this nonsense with LVM and RAID forced down our throats by the newest installers is bull.  The installers from Redhat sometimes don't even give you a option or choice - they just install the way they like.  And we end up with LVM, RAID, and partitions named "/dev/mapper/pdc_bdjdgijbbcp4" or some such idiocy!

I think it should all be optional, not mandatory on the install.  Sure, there are people who install Linux and don't know better.  But what says LVM is a better way to install, for those who don't know Linux?  Personally, I think its worse.  I still can't mount a LVM drive in a different machine (or by USB adapter) and get to the data.  That's why that virtual is still around - waiting for me to figure out the LVM.....

Chuck