[BlueOnyx:14134] Re: Post BlueQuartz questions here?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Dec 19 21:13:49 -05 2013

Hi Carl and/or Sandy,

> So, is this the proper list for BlueQuartz questions?

Yes and no. BlueOnyx is a fork of BlueQuartz and we share a common
codebase, although our code has progressed a bit further. Still, we try
to help where we can, so if you have any questions, then just ask. :-)

> If BlueQuartz is a casualty of time and technology (or lack of interest??)
> - what is involved in migrating to BlueOnyx?

The BlueQuartz project seems to be a bit dormant. At least from what I
can tell. BlueQuartz 5102R pretty much died when CentOS 4 became EOL in
February 2012. Eventually there was a BlueQuartz 5200R on CentOS 5, but
the domain www.bluequartz.org was down for an extended period of time,
so a lot of people didn't know about BlueQuartz 5200R. Additionally the
lack of an ISO image for installation might also have hurt its
distribution. Additionally there haven't been any YUM updates for
BlueQuartz 5200R for quite some time. So I don't really know the state
of that project and can only speculate.

Now if you have a CentOS 4 based BlueQuartz 5102R, then you can easily
migrate your sites, users DNS data and MySQL database using the
procedure outlined here:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=cmu-migrations

If you have a CentOS 5 based BlueQuartz 5200R, then you're kinda stuck.
I am not sure if our CMU (migration utility) can handle that properly.
But if you just want to migrate MySQL data, then the above procedure is
still good to go as far as the migration of the MySQL data is concerned.

> is CentOS or some other OS a better choice?

If you like the appliance approach, the ease of installation and the
GUI, go for BlueOnyx 5107R or 5108R. We offer CDs that install BlueOnyx
on either CentOS 6 or Scientific Linux 6. The functionality is exactly
the same and in the end it doesn't matter if you pick CentOS or
Scientific Linux. These two OS's are more or less binary compatible
clones of RHEL6.

Additionally the BlueOnyx project is well maintained. There are constant
updates and we frequently add new functionality. There is also a large
pool of extra software available from http://shop.blueonyx.it. Which
includes updates for PHP, MySQL, firewalls, SPAM and Virus filters and
much more. You can also purchase subscriptions to updates to these extras.

And you get a very helpful community as well. :-)

You can download the BlueOnyx ISO images here:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=downloads

And this page explains the differences between the various installation
methods and flavors of BlueOnyx:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=version-info